ABOUT DUSTIN PAPOW
- It's a given I have a passion for creating beauty. More importantly I believe in the power of story. Story is the way humans give birth to ideas and effectively share them with each other. I am fascinated by stories of any kind – film, books, videogames – I am exploring how they are produced and what they mean to us all. I believe it's through meaning that fulfillment is found. We make our own magic.
- For this reason I conjure illustrations that share my vision of the world and allow my viewers to find their own. I look forward to many more projects where I can collaborate, connect, and make modern magic with others.
- I grew up in Detroit, MI surrounded by a large, loving family who supported and contributed to my ventures in the arts. I attended the College for Creative Studies where I majored in illustration. I also studied abroad in Florence, Italy at SACI where I was introduced to design.
- After graduation I jumped into the world of marketing, putting my problem solving skills to the test as a graphic designer on the Visual Merchandising Team at Art Van Furniture. I was able to take on large-scale projects of many kinds – everything from designing and installing store displays to branding a new shopping experience and implementing it in 37 locations.
- I now reside in Brooklyn, NY where I am happily working as a freelance illustrator and designer.
- My work is digitally created; meaning I spend a lot of time on my computer. However I consider design to be only a fraction of who I am. I thrive on travel and adventuring outside. Much of my work features the natural world and its many creatures. I use its beauty to symbolize aspects of the human condition.
- The world is always evolving; borrowing from the old to make new. I believe evolution is important part of story telling. We move and shake the world through reimagining what has been. I take from the many cultures of the world and from them I borrow to tell my stories.
- I am always listening to music when I draw. Music has this power over me by more clearly leading me to my next path. Check my blog for playlists I used while working on specific works.
- Ask me anything about the western zodiac.
- Above all I want to write and illustrate an epic fantasy chronicle based on the concept we are all one thing (already working on it!).
- Heroes: J . C . Lyndecker, Alphonse Mucha, Adam Rex, Terryl Whitlatch, Hyung Tae Kim, Robert F. Kenedy, Milton Glasser, & My Parents.
- •The Bigger Book of Fashion Illustration, 2011
- •Something We Like Blog Interview, 2011
- •YoHo Magazine Interview, Beijing, China, 2008
- •Spectrum 14: The Best In Cont. Fan. Art, 2007
- •Society of Illustrators Student Exhibition, 2007